Brewing malt: barley and wheat
Beer malt is obtained from abundantly moistened, germinated grains of cereal crops. To create different varieties of foamy drink, brewers use raw materials made from barley, wheat, rye, corn, sorghum, triticale. Barley and wheat species, which are considered the classic basis, are in great demand. To produce beer, you need to buy malt, hops and other ingredients, then, after setting the mode, place them in the desired sequence in the mini brewery. Malt happens:
- Base. Usually barley, wheat, rye. It is used up to 100% in the total volume of the grain component. It has a high content of enzymes.
- Burnt. The grains are roasted. The mass fraction of the extract is 65-78%. With an increase in the concentration of flavoring substances, the rancid shade intensifies. Roasted wheat malt has the most pleasant taste. The grain of wheat is devoid of husk, which in barley gives a pronounced taste of rancidity after roasting. Color saturation 400-1500 EBC.
- Special. Designed to correct taste. The share of special malt in the volume of the grain component is 5-20%. One of the most popular specialty types is caramel, which is obtained from freshly germinated malt by saccharification in roasting drums (temperature 60-80 °C).
To prepare the wort, several varieties of malt are often mixed in order to achieve a peculiar shade of taste and aroma. Types of malt differ in extractivity, viscosity, protein concentration, friability (friability) and other characteristics. A Prolitech specialist will help you to understand in detail.
Types of malt for beer: how to choose the right one
The taste, color and other properties of the product of the prepared drink depend on the type of malt. Manufacturers offer wheat, barley and other types of malt, which, depending on the grain processing technology, acquire certain properties. The main subspecies of barley base malt:
- Pilsen. The lightest, most versatile. The share can be up to 100% in the grain basis. In the case of dominance in the grain mass, it gives the beer a mild taste with a slight grainy note. By mixing with special types, expressive taste and aroma characteristics are achieved. Color saturation 2-5 EBC.
- Pale Ale. Compared to the Pilsen variety, it is dried at higher temperatures. As a result, it acquires a color of increased saturation. The taste is enriched with nutty notes. In combination with the Pilsen type, a pronounced malt flavor is obtained. Together with active yeast, it is used to prepare bitter and amber varieties. An ideal basis for Belgian, English ales. Color saturation 5-8 EBC.
- Vienna. The color shade is similar to the Pale Ale type, but differs from it in taste properties. The finished product acquires a sweetish aftertaste with sour, bready notes. It is optimally suited for the preparation of lagers (maturing during the storage of bottom-fermented beer drinks). Color saturation 6-9 EBC.
- Munich. Designed for the preparation of beer varieties Dunkel, Merzen, Porter, Alt and others. It is used in various combinations to give the drink a peculiar grain flavor and a copper color tint. Color saturation 12-25 EBC.
- Red. Obtained using a special technology of roasting beans. With a volume of 100% in the grain base, the finished drink acquires a bright pomegranate hue. Color saturation 28-32 EBC.
Suitable malt is selected based on personal taste preferences, taking into account the desired properties of the final product. If a brewer is going to brew a certain type of beer, he uses the ingredients according to the recipe. In home brewing, you can experiment by adjusting the proportions at your own discretion. The only negative is that the result in this case is unpredictable.
How to order and buy malt from Prolitech?
You can buy malt in Kiev at an affordable price at Proliteh. Raw materials for home and industrial brewing are inexpensively purchased from us. Malt and other components are produced by the leading enterprises of Ukraine, Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany and Finland. The quality is confirmed by specifications and certificates. To complete a transaction, the buyer needs to follow a few simple steps:
- Select a product.
- Make a request.
- Wait for the manager's call.
An alternative option is to call the operator of the company, who will answer questions online and accept the application. Consultations of competent specialists will help to avoid mistakes when choosing the right type of malt.